Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Waiting for Lily

My good friend Crystal is due to have her baby girl Lily any day now. And I can't stand it. Which means Crystal must REALLY be ready. Like most mothers, I can't help but become introspective when I hear about other women's birth stories. It seems like it was just yesterday...

I was admitted in the hospital for eight days at week 34 to keep the babies from coming early. I was put on magnesium sulfate and it felt worse than any flu I've ever had- but obviously a small sacrifice to keep the babies healthy and growing.

I remember their birth in following highlights:

*I was terrified of going back into the hospital and having them send me home because it 'wasn't time.' So I kept praying that after 36 weeks my water would break so I would really know. It broke. Seriously broke. Mike was putting on his shoes to leave for work and I just started laughing because fortheloveofgod the fluids would not stop coming! It was like a hose was gushing out of my, you know, and I just kept laughing.
*During the early hours of labor I have to admit, I secretly thought I was amazing. Like, yes the contractions kind of hurt but I was going to be tough. I didn't know what all these women were whining about. This bravado lasted a few more hours and then I insisted on casually agreed to an epidural.
*My water broke around 7 a.m. and sometime later that morning/early afternoon they started the Pitocin. It seemed like it was taking forever and it wasn't until around 9 p.m. that I was finally dilated to 9. We got super excited and prepared to go into the operating room. With twins, they have double the people in the room (doctor, nurses, pediatrician, surgeon, etc.). So when we finally got in the room it felt like a party. At first. With the epidural in full force I was feeling good, just sleepy. Mike looked cute in his scrubs. I was really thirsty and begging for ice chips, which they gave me sparingly because there was a good possibility I for a c-section. So from there, I started pushing.
*I'm not kidding when I say I actively pushed from around 10:30 p.m.-2:30 a.m. That's like pushing during the drive from Atascadero to L.A. The whole time people in my face chanting, 'Come on Meghan! Push like you have to poop! Push like you have to poop!' It was almost a little funny the first half hour, and then it more like you've got to be kidding, stop saying that. So I pushed. And pushed. And pushed. At one point a nurse suggested I let the epidural run out so that I could use the feel of the contractions to push. At that point I think my words to her were, 'whatever.' Um, if you ever find yourself in that position, kindly decline and keep the epidural. Remember how I said I had been tough at first? I was not tough anymore. Yes, you forget the pain of labor, but I still remember thinking that I wanted to pull the nurses hair for every suggesting that I go from feeling nothing but fatigue to full blown labor in minutes. OUCH.
*I pushed on my side. On my knees. On my other side. I pulled up on this silly bar thing. I just kept pushing. It was awful pain and they started the epidural back up. Come to find out, little Maxwell was stuck on my pelvic bone so they told us they were going to suction him out. As exhausted as I was, we were grateful that with all those extra people on call for us, no one was pressuring me to have a Cesarean. It was really time. We were about to hold our first baby.
*The suction/pushing was a blur, but finally came Maxwell Daniel, March 4, 2009 . When he came out the room went quiet. Mike was supposed to cut the cord but the doctor immediately cut it and laid him in front of the pediatrician. Maxwell was limp and he wasn't crying. I kept asking Mike, 'Why isn't he crying? Why isn't he crying?' Mike didn't look me in the eye but he said he was okay. Within a minute Maxwell was fine. He began to cry and his apgar when up. Apparently he was also tired from the four hour push. Poor little guy. Finally I got to hold him and all the cliches came true. Our miracle baby was here.
*Part of me was so tired I kind of forgot I had to do the whole thing over again. When the doctor told me he had to break my water for baby girl I started to correct him. 'Oh no, my water already broke.' If he had seen Niagara falls between my legs that morning he would have understood. But apparently only one of the sacs had broken. Unbelievable. I watched him take out this hook and was so tired I didn't even flinch. But when I saw Mike's face I assumed we would never have sex again. Twenty-one minutes after Maxwell was born, Ella Vita arrived. And she cried. We each held a baby and so it began. Our prayers answered. This incredible life with two.
There are more stories and I'm certain I have a selective memory, but waiting for Lily reminds of our wait. Then our birth story. Crystal, I can't wait to hear yours. You and Andy will do great! I love you~

Maxwell Daniel, 5 lbs. 10 oz.

Ella Vita, 4 lbs. 14 oz.


Anonymous said...

Aww Megs that inspires me to keep focused on the joy that I am waiting on and that all this waiting will soon be a distant memory. You always inspire me to look on the bright side. Thank you. Love ya. Crystal

Cristine said...

YES and YES again to both Meg and Crystal!

FluentNSmiles said...

Ahhh ha ha ha.... I can't stop laughing. I love your descriptions. Too funny!