Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Big Girl Room For Ella

It's dumb ridiculous how excited I get to decorate my kid's rooms. Maybe because our master bedroom hasn't been done yet, so their rooms feel like an affordable, tangable way to update the house? Ella's room is currently emptied out and I sold her crib on Craigslist this morning (yes, my 3 year olds still sleep in their cribs converted to toddler beds. maxwell's is for sale as well but hasn't been sold yet. which is ok because he does NOT like change and he's having a hard time liking the idea of a big boy bed).

I was in such a hurry to take everything out to start painting, I didn't take before pictures. But here are pictures of the room as the twins nursery, which then evolved to a room full of toddler stuff. The only main change was the crib dropped and side taken off. Plus lots more toys and books. And we obviously took Maxwell's bed out when we remodeled his room, photos here.

This time around I'm loving whites and soft grays. Kind of shabby chic, but not overkill. These are my inspiration photos. Is this boring to read? I'm partly posting this so I can look back and remember my taste. Hopefully it won't change too much. In actuality, this is probably my last time I get control over decorating my daughter's room. Seeing as it is her room, I expect she'll have her own ideas next time. As she should.

Anyway, I think these two rooms are so, so, pretty.



Next, I've always wanted to see a window seat in her beautiful bay windows. I have this vision of my little girl leaning against pillows and daydreaming out her window...flash forward 13 years and I see her teenage body sprawled across the seat, laying on her tummy doing algebra. But mostly, it's what I don't see...I want to HIDE as many of those toys as I can. Ella has a teeny closet, not much room for storage so I'm excited for Mike to make a window bench, kind of like this.


I found her bedding at Target on clearence last summer. I've been saving it for her big girl room.


Over the past six months (literally) I've been pinning sweet prints off etsy. I let Ella look at all of them and she chose four. Here are two of them.




 I have the perfect bathing suit she's outgrown to do this...


 We'll see how it all turns out. Once the paint and window bench are done, we can have fun decorating. It's so fun watching her get excited about her 'big girl room.' At least I think she's excited. I know I am :)

7 comments:

molly june. said...

Oooooh! How FUN! i'm a sucker for any little girls' room. such great ideas :) can't wait to see how it turns out! YAY!

Unknown said...

You know how I love this kinda thing! Poppy's room has been white for a year now and I'm dying to paint it a warm purple. But, she is requesting pink unicorns in space.

brian, meghan, finley, and adalaide said...

how fun meghan! i love those rooms you pinned. can't wait for an update!

Cristine said...

So where is Ella sleeping since she doesn't have her 'bed' anymore? LOVE all the ideas you and Ella have picked out!

bandofbrothers said...

very fun and cute ideas! i wish i could line up 3 beds in a row. wouldn't that be cute?

i love looking at people's room ideas! never boring to me!

Leanne said...

I am working on E's big girl room right now too! I got all the stuff out to paint today, and now cant decide what to do, hehe. I love everything you've picked! Cant wait to see it all done.

Also, I keep having daydreams about our kids playing together :) Eva does this face now that I have seen pictures of Ella doing- I will see if I can get a picture of it!

Jessica said...

great inspirations...i'm working on my kids rooms now. so much fun. can't wait to see the final product.