I spent Friday-Sunday on an adventure with myself. I vacationed with my stepson Michael in West Hollywood.
Highlights along the way:
- Packing and traveling for ONE.
- Lunch with my brother David in Santa Barbara.
- A dinner party with Michael's great friends.
- A night on the town in Hollywood.
- Lunch and shopping with my bestie Molly.
- An afternoon on the couch with Bridesmaids (which I have been wanting to see since it was in theaters).
Then Michael's hand picked favorite episodes of Oprah, taken from his beloved 40th anniversary special.
- Long talks and laughs with Michal and Justin.
- Yummy Margaritas and Mexican food.
- ...all followed by the uncontrollable urge to jump in my car and speed home to wrap my arms around my babies who, by then, I physically missed beyond reason.
Coming home is always a little weird. I jumped out of my car and snatched M & E up in a suffocating hug. They smiled, gave me kisses, then went back to riding bikes. There is always a period when I've been gone that I kind of have to sit back like an outsider.
'Um, are you guys hungry?'
'Nope, Daddy just made us eggs.'
Do they need a potty break? Are they going to be ready for a nap? I kind of feel like an outsider. And then I wonder if this is how Mike feels when he gets home from work every day. We've been going along, doing our thing, and we all stop for a quick kiss, then go back to our routine. Truth is, life functions without me. In fact, it's gone quite well. Which is what I want. Max and Ella have been with their Dad, not a babysitter. But still...it's just always a little weird when I've been gone, then I come back.
As always, time away filled my tank gave me a thankful heart. I had a fantastic weekend. I played, rested and then I missed home. Thank you Michael for being a wonderful host. I love you. Thank you Mike giving me a weekend to myself. I love you.
Now back to reality!