Saturday, July 12, 2008

Another step closer...

"These are the best embryos I've seen in months," Dr. S. tells us. This is the first thing we hear Friday morning as we get to the office for our embryo transfer. He says our embryos are wonderful! He shows us a picture of them and explains today's process. I can't believe this is real. I change into a gown and we wait for the embryologist to come into the operating room. It's a sterile, quiet room and I'm laying on the table. Mike sits on a chair next to me and we look at each other, is this really finally happening? The embryologist comes in and goes over some information with us. "Your embryos are perfect," she says. My eyes fill with tears. She explains that they are measured A, B, or C for their quality. For example, each embryo is scored AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, etc. She shows us our ratings. Out of the six embryos, 5 of them are AA and one is AB. They really are perfect. Next, she dims the lights and rolls in an incubator. My heart is overwhelmed. Those are our babies in there. The incubator is temperature controlled and she calls Mike over to meet them. He can see them under the microscope, but otherwise he tells me they look like specs of dust. It is absolutely incredible. I am comforted that our embryos are healthy. I am grateful that if we have to do this again, we can use any of the four other embryos that they have frozen.I lie on the operating table and Dr. S. comes in shortly after. I watch the clock and the whole procedure takes around 12 minutes. It is uncomfortable, but not painful. The embryos are kept in the quiet, dark incubator until the very last minute before they are transferred through a catheter. And that's it. I look at Mike and we both know this may be the beginning, but also the end. The end of these appointments, tests, needles...disappointment. But again, it may not be. In 10 days I take a blood test to find out if I'm pregnant. In the meantime I am hopeful, but I have guarded my heart. It has been such a long process and I'm afraid to get my hopes up.


These are the actual two embryos they transfered, hopefully their first picture of many!
Thank you Lord for bringing us this far.

4 comments:

Joanne Blanchard said...

Meghan and Mike,
What a fascinating, emotional process. I admire your courage and your great love for the little dust specks. Of course, you would be hestitant to get too excited yet but I will be very excited already! It's all good. Love you, thinking of you.
Aunt Joanne

Anonymous said...

this is amazing! i have high hopes for you! this will be a long 10 days tho...wow! you're doing great meghan, i love you all :)

Anonymous said...

oops - anonymous? thats from me, michelle :)

Anonymous said...

Meghan and Mike,
I just read your letter to your unborn babies and about the emotional time as the embryos were transfered. My heart was so full of love and respect for the two of you and all that you're going through. Then I saw the pictures of the embryos and knew I was looking at the very begining of life for your babies (my grandbabies). God is good!
I love you both so much...