Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something's Missing...

...can you tell what it is? It's my boys hair. Mike took the kids to run errands one day this weekend.  Maxwell came back with a buzz. It wasn't a big shock, Mike's been saying he's going to take him for a couple months and I really didn't care either way. I actually love a shaved head on guys. And Maxwell has thick hair that goes into a crazy wave if I don't wet it every morning. But when he ran into the house to show me his new do, I couldn't help but frown a little inside because he looks so old.

Parents say it all the time, but they are growing too fast. Their little bodies are lean and strong. Their minds are independent and clever. And I can't help feeling a smidge of sadness that I only got to do it once. I wouldn't trade twins for the world, but the baby phase goes so fast, and now it's done. Of course there are great things to come. But that part is done.

So this afternoon I watch my big boy chase bugs with his bow and arrow and my girl flip through magazines.

 


This is not posed. Ella loves getting the mail. If anything comes that will remotely pass as kid mail, I tell her it was meant for her. Today it's Pottery Barn Kids. One of her favorites. She spent at least a half hour in her lawn chair, flipping through various rooms and paint colors. 

"Which one do you like Mom?" 
I point to the cream room with vibrant blue accents.
"Hmmm. Me too," she says. 
 Girl's got good taste. 

 I can't mourn their growing up, or I'll miss what's happening now. And this is pretty amazing too. 

 
 

2 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

So grown up!! Love the buzz cut. :-)

brian, meghan, finley, and adalaide said...

he looks so grown up! My girls love looking through that magazine too. so cute!